I've been missing from TWD events for close to two months. It was partly due to my move to SA, with all of my stuffs packed and shipped, I was unable to do any baking at all. But when I finally received a small part of my baking equipments via air freight 3 weeks ago, I was still unable to take part because the recipes chosen then called for some tools that I've not receive.
Speaking of which, in spite of the fact that this is already my 5th week in SA, I've not receive the majority of my stuffs that were shipped via sea freight yet. I can't start my normal life without the rest of my cooking utensils, my books and my shoes! Yeah, I made a mistake of shipping my shoes via sea freight and I'm now stucked with just a pair of shoes. I can't express enough how frustrated I am with my current situation!
Enough of my ranting, back to TWD. I simply love the recipe chosen for this week, it's called granola grabbers and it has got such a great variety of ingredients in it. The main ingredient in the original recipe is, of course granola, other than that, it has raisins, dessicated coconut, salted peanuts, almond and wheat germ. I replaced the almonds with chopped pistachios and instead of wheat germ which I couldn't find here, I used wheat flour. With such a combination of ingredients, the cookies are so yummy that I can't find a reason not to like it. I baked these cookies last night and I was munching non-stop right after every batch was out from the oven. Since I woke up this morning, I've been suffering from a severe sore throat. Urgh!
Granola Grabbers Recipe
(Adapted from Dorie Greenspan's Baking: From My Home to Yours)
3 cups granola without fruits
3/4 cups raisins
1/2 cup salted peanuts
1/2 cup dessicated coconut
1/3 cup wheat germ (I used wheat flour)
1/2 cup slivered almonds (I used chopped pistachios)
1 3/4 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup plain flour
1) Preheat the oven to 375 deg F.
2) Put the granola in a large bowl and break up any clumps with fingers. Add raisins, peanuts, almonds, coconut and wheat germ and mix together.
3) Using an electric mixer, turn to medium speed and beat butter until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add sugar and beat for another 3 minutes.
4) Add the egg and salt and beat until well blended.
5) Reduce mixer speed to low, add the flour and mix just until incorporated.
6) Using a rubber spatula, mix the granola mixture into the batter until well combined.
7) Scoop out tablespoons of the dough, pack the scoops between your palms and arrange them on the baking sheets, leaving 1 1/5-inch between them. Flatten the dough slightly with the back of a spoon.
8) Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the cookies turn golden brown.
9) Allow the cookies to rest for 1 to 2 minutes before transferrin them to racks to cool to room temperature.
Tuesday, 19 August 2008
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.