Since my arrival in Singapore, I've been busy with shopping, eating and spending time with the family. I hardly have time to read all the feeds in my Google Reader, let alone cook! As I knew that I'll be too busy to spend time in the kitchen, so I've prepared a few new dishes and kept them in my archive when I was in SA. Almond and orange blossom cake is one such recipe that I chanced upon from 64 Sq Ft Kitchen, and I gave it a try some time in October. It is a dense cake, flavoured with orange blossom water, and it's extremely delicious!
Almond and Orange Blossom Cake Recipe
(Adapted from 64 Sq Ft Kitchen)
4 1/2 ounce (128g) almond meal
4 1/2 ounce (128g) digestive biscuit, finely ground
2 1/4 ounce (64g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 3/4 ounce (50g) caster sugar
1/4 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 tbsp orange blossom water
Zest of half lemon
For the syrup:
7 ounce (200g) caster sugar
1 cup water
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp orange blossom water
1) To prepare the syrup: In a saucer, add water, sugar and lemon juice, bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for another 8 minutes. Remove from heat and let the syrup cool to room temperature.
2) Preheat the oven to 325 deg F. Grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
3) In a medium bowl, whisk together the almonds, crackers, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest.
4) Add the orange blossom water, butter and eggs. Using an electric mixer, mix the batter until just incorporated.
5) Bake in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes, or until the top turns golden brown.
6) When the cake is done, remove from the oven, cut into pieces and pour the syrup over it. Let the cake cool in the pan, serve.
Friday, 16 January 2009
Posted by Piggy | Category: Cake
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.