I was hit with a nasty flu bug since one week ago. The constant sneezing and unbearable sore throat has kept me away from doing anything else except lying on bed and rest. But at the same time, I'm glad that I managed to finish reading a few books which, in my opinion, is a better use of my time rather than staring at my laptop all day long.
However, I had to drag myself out of bed today and baked some cakes because the pack of blueberry that I bought from Cold Storage last week was almost expired. And after having those nasty tasting medicines for so many days, I really need something sweet to cheer myself up.
The cakes certainly did not disappoint. Soft, fluffy and studded with juicy blueberries, they tasted really great with the crunchy ground almond topping. I do feel that I'm starting to recover from the flu after gobbling down two pieces of the cakes at one go! ;-)
Blueberry Cake Recipe
For the topping:
40g self-raising flour
30g ground almond
30g unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, keep in the fridge until ready to be used
30g castor sugar
Pinch of salt
For the cake:
100g self-raising flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
60g unsalted butter, at room temperature
80g castor sugar
1 egg yolk
pinch of salt
100g fresh blueberries
To prepare the topping:
1) Put all ingredients in a bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into the mixture until the it looks like coarse crumbs. Keep in the fridge until ready to be used.
To prepare the cake batter:
2) Pre-heat the oven to 170 deg C.
3) Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
4) Add in eggs, follow by milk. With each addition, beat until well combined.
5) Sift flour, baking powder and salt over the butter mixture. Using a rubber spatula, mix the batter until just combined.
6) Add in blueberries. Spoon the batter into 6 cupcake liners. Sprinkle the toppings on the batter.
7) Bake in the pre-heated oven for 25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center of the cake turns out clean. Remove from oven, let the cakes cool on wire rack, serve.
Saturday, 5 September 2009
Posted by Piggy | Category: Cake
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.