My hubby loves fried rice. When we first moved to Taipei, he discovered an eatery which serves fried rice that is cooked to perfection - flavourful and full of breath of wok. For the next few months, he went to the same eatery (unfortunately I had to go with him) and ordered the same dish every Saturday until I had to plead with him to go somewhere else.
Anyway, I cooked fried rice with XO sauce for lunch today, knowing that my hubby would love it. As expected, he had two big servings and gobbled it up in mere minutes. He even asked if I could make some for him to bring to work tomorrow. So right after lunch, I cooked some rice, kept it in the fridge for a few hours and prepared the same dish again at night.
Fried Rice with XO Sauce Recipe
Overnight rice for two
1/4 onion, chopped finely
1/2 red capsicum, chopped finely
100g minced pork
2 tablespoons XO sauce (or more)
1 stalk spring onion, chopped finely
Salt and pepper, to taste
Marinade for minced pork:
1/2 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 tablespoon cornstarch
a few drops of sesame oil
Pepper, to taste
1) Marinate pork for at least 15 minutes, set aside.
2) Heat up wok, and when the wok is hot enough, add 2 tablespoons of oil. Pour egg into the wok, stir quickly to scramble the egg. When the egg is almost cooked through, dish out and set aside.
3) In the same wok, add onion, saute until fragrant. Add minced pork, continue to stir until the pork is almost cooked.
4) Add capsicum, make a few quick stirs, follow by rice and XO sauce. Stir quickly and make sure that all ingredients are mixed well.
5) Add egg, spring onions, salt and pepper, and make a few more stirs. Dish up and serve hot.