Savory Cookies Recipe
Recipe adapted from お惣菜ケーキ
100g self-raising flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
10g castor sugar
2 tablespoons milk
**1 teaspoon curry powder, or 1/4 teaspoon shichimi togarashi, or 3 tablespoons shaved cheddar cheese, or 2 tablespoons white sesame
1) Cut butter into 1-cm cubes, keep in fridge until ready to be used.
2) In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt and sugar.
3) Add butter into the mixture, toss and make sure that every piece of butter is covered with the flour. Using a pastry cutter, press and cut the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine meals.
4) Add milk to the flour mixture. Continue to cut and press the mixture until the dough barely comes together.
5) Roll the dough into a square. Let it rests in the fridge for 30 minutes.
6) Line a tray with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 190 deg C.
7) Roll the dough into 3 or 4-mm thickness. Use a cookie cutter to cut out the dough.
8) Bake the cookies for about 10 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown.
9) Let the cookies stand on tray for 1 or 2 minutes. Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack.
To make curry or shichimi togarashi flavour:
- Add curry powder or shichimi togarashi to the flour mixture in Step (2), then proceed to Step (3).
To make cheddar cheese or white sesame flavour:
- Add cheddar cheese or white sesame after Step (3) is completed. Mix until just combined, then proceed to Step (4)