I've been craving for tarts lately as I've not been making any tarts or pies for quite some time. While browsing through my cookbooks one afternoon, a beautiful picture of grapes tart caught my eye and I decided to make it as my afternoon treat! But I didn't have grapes on hand and so I used canned cherries to make two medium size tartlets. It is so yummy that I made a full size tart the next day and gave it to my friend as gift!
Cherries Tart Recipe
Recipe adapted from パイとタルト
For the dough:
120g self-raising flour
60g unsalted butter, at room temperature
30g icing sugar
1 egg yolk
1/2 tablespoons water
For the almond cream:
20g unsalted butter, at room temperature
20g castor sugar
1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
25g almond meal
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon rum
45g sour cream
15 canned cherries (or more)
*Note: I used Fabbri Amarena Cherries
To prepare the dough:
1) Place butter and icing sugar in a medium bowl. Whisk until combined.
2) Add the yolk and water into the butter mixture, whisk the batter until smooth.
3) Add the flour mixture. Using a rubber spatula, mix the batter until just combined.
4) Shape the dough into a square with 1/2-inch thickness, then wrap it with a piece of cling wrap. Keep in the fridge for at least one hour.
5) Roll the dough out on a floured surface. Fit the dough into a 22-cm tart pan.
6) Keep the tart pan in the freezer for 1 hour.Preheat the oven to 210 deg C.
7) Remove the tart pan from the freezer, prick the bottom of the pie crust with the tines of a fork.
8) Put the tart pan on a baking sheet and bake the crust for 10 minutes. Turn the heat down to 150 deg C and bake for another 15 minutes or until the crust is light brown in colour.
To make the filling:
1) Whisk butter until smooth. Add sugar and whisk until well combined.
2) Add egg, cornstarch follow by almond meal. Mix well with each addition.
3) Add rum, vanilla extract and sour cream, whisk until smooth.
To bake the tart:
1) Preheat the oven to 170 deg C.
2) Spread the filling onto the tart. Push the cherries lightly into the filling.
3) Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes.