To my readers who are celebrating Chinese new year, how's your new year preparation? I'll be going back to Singapore next week and so these few days, I've been running around buying CNY goodies as gifts to my family and friends. I won't be baking for CNY though because I still have to tidy up the house and attend lessons before I leave for Singapore. But if you are baking for CNY, here's a great recipe for you to try out!
Cashew Nuts Sablé Recipe
Recipe adapted from 焼き菓子の発想と技法
80g icing sugar
125g unsalted butter
35g egg yolk
90g cashew nuts, toasted, cooled and chopped into small pieces
195g self-raising flour
Pinch of salt
1) Using a stand mixer (or hand mixer), mix butter and sugar until smooth. '
2) Add yolk and milk, mix until combined, follow by cashew nuts.
3) Add flour into the mixture. Using a spatula, mix until just combined.
4) Turn the dough on a counter, knead a few times and then shape the dough into a square of 2cm thick. Wrap the dough with cling wrap Let it rest in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
5) On a lightly floured surface, knead and shape the dough again into a rectangle of 2.5cm thick. Cut the dough into strips of 4cm. Keep the dough in the freezer for 15 minutes or until it is half-frozen.
6) Preheat the oven to 160 deg C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
7) Remove the dough from the freezer. Cut the strips into cookies of 7mm thickness.
8) Place the cookies on the tray. Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until the cookies are brown around the edges and golden on the bottom.